The methods that are used in a warehouse to store goods can be called warehouse storage methods. For instance; pallet racking, mezzanine floor, ASRS system, cantilever racking, etc. are all considered warehouse storage methods.
Warehouse management is one of the critical aspects of today’s growing businesses. This is why it is important to learn about warehouse storage methods. It is a process that stores and manages products and materials.
Selective pallet racking is the most famous warehouse storage method due to its versatility and cheaper price. By using the warehouse storage method, the efficient use of a warehouse storage space is ensured.
A well-organized warehouse plan experiences less damage and tear. Proper warehouse storage techniques can help to minimize the risk of product damage or loss due to improper handling. We will discuss the following things in the article:
Organizing products in a logistics facility is covered by warehouse storage methods. The type of method that would suit you would depend on your business and the product you are storing.
Each method has its advantages, disadvantages, and particular uses. Now, we will discuss some of the most famous warehouse storage methods that you can select for your warehouse:
In the pallet racking system, products or goods are stored in pallets. In this system, the forklift truck plays an important role as it loads and unloads the products from the pallet racks.
However, pallet racks can now be loaded and unloaded utilizing computer-controlled cranes due to recent innovations.
The horizontal columns in a pallet rack structure are called pallet racking beams. They offer surface storage space for pallet rack-mounted loads. A pallet racking part consists of Uprights, beams, aisle, diagonal struts, upright protectors, etc.
There are many different pallet racking types. Selective pallet racking systems, double deep pallet racking systems and drive-in pallet racking systems are some of the most famous pallet racking systems.
Now, let’s discuss some advantages and disadvantages of pallet racking systems:
- Pallet racks ensure the efficient use of the vertical space of the warehouse. The use of vertical space in a warehouse is the efficient use of the storage space of the warehouse.
- The management of the products becomes much easier using the pallet racking system.
- Installing pallet racks saves a lot of money for the warehouse. For instance, if the warehouse has to buy or rent more space, it would cost a lot of money. But by using the pallet racking system, it can efficiently use the existing space and thus save money.
- A pallet racking system is one of the cheapest warehouse storage methods.
- In the pallet racking system, a work aisle is necessary for the pallet racks. So, a lot of warehouse space is wasted while installing pallet racks.
- Unlike other warehouse storage methods like mezzanine floors, pallet racking needs frequent inspection. Pallet racking inspection needs to be done frequently to ensure the pallet racks are in good condition.
The Cantilever rack has a single vertical column that supports many horizontal arms that transport loads. It is one type of free-standing storage device. Cantilever racks can be used for applications ranging from light to heavy duty.
- Broad ranges of load capabilities for common or quake-resistant applications.
- Another amazing benefit of the cantilever racking system is its customizability. You can fully customize cantilever racks according to your needs and specifications.
- The center column design in the cantilever racking system allows for the use of a huge amount of horizontal space.
- The Cantilever rack’s simple construction makes it possible to place and retrieve items precisely.
- Compared to other warehouse storage methods like selective racking, cantilever racking is more expensive. So, when the warehouse doesn’t have a good budget, they can’t install the cantilever racking system.
- Like the pallet racking system, the cantilever racking system also needs a good space in the channel area. Most of these channel areas are wasted space of a warehouse.
An elevated platform or floor that is used in warehouses for storing goods is called a mezzanine floor. The platform of the mezzanine floor is located between the ground and the ceiling of the warehouse.
You can build multiple mezzanine floors in a warehouse. But each mezzanine floor height should be a minimum of 7 feet or 2.134 m. To learn more about the height of mezzanine floor related issues, please read Mezzanine floor height.
A mezzanine floor can be constructed with steel, wood, concrete, plywood, etc. Steel is used to construct the mezzanine floor of a warehouse in most cases. Steel is used to build a mezzanine floor due to its strong durability and weight-taking capacity.
- A mezzanine floor can be built on any warehouse if it has enough space, soil capability, and height.
- Storing goods or products on a mezzanine floor is one of the safest ways. Workers can use the stairs of the mezzanine floors to load and unload products.
- The mezzanine floor can be used for multiple purposes in a warehouse. For instance, it can be used as a workspace or observation desk.
- Installing mezzanine floors ensures the best use of existing warehouse space. If constructed properly, the space below the mezzanine floor can also be used. For instance, it can be used to store goods.
- The mezzanine floor is very expensive to install in a warehouse.
- The columns of the mezzanine floor create obstacles to the free movement of workers.
Read more related to a mezzanine floor.
ASRS stands for Automated Storage and Retrieval System. It is a type of warehouse storage method that uses advanced technology to store and retrieve goods automatically. The purpose of this method is to improve productivity, save time, and save labor expenses.
Facilities for production and distribution typically employ ASRS systems. ASRS is essentially an automated device that safely and effectively stores objects in a small space. Also, they enable users to swiftly and conveniently retrieve objects as required.
An ASRS system consists of a mix of robotic apparatus, conveyors, sensors, and software. The system is managed by the software, which also interfaces with other warehouse areas. The other factors include inventory management systems and order processing systems.
The ASRS system operates by following a predetermined set of instructions to store and retrieve products. A barcode reader or RFID scanner scans products as they are delivered to the ASRS system. This identifies the item and the place where it is kept.
The product is subsequently retrieved from the storage place by the ASRS equipment. This is done by utilizing robotic arms, conveyors, pallet shuttles, or cranes. The goods are delivered to the shipping and packing facility. It might potentially be moved to a brand-new storage space inside the warehouse.
Real-time inventory level updates are provided by the system. This guarantees the maintenance of precise stock levels and provides information for future inventory management and forecasting.
Using an ASRS in a warehouse environment has both benefits and drawbacks. The following are a few of the most significant benefits and drawbacks:
- Labor cost savings is an ASRS’s most recognized benefit. While few workers are required in a warehouse, fewer mistakes and injuries happen as a result.
- Real-time tracking and inventory management are used by ASRS systems. Errors in inventory control and order fulfillment run this danger.
- Workers can be informed when inventory is about to expire via an ASRS that has been correctly designed. It may order shipments according to first-in, first-out principles to stop spoiling.
- There is no need for an ASRS to stop or double-check the manifests. This makes it possible for continued use. Compared to a warehouse without an ASRS, this yields substantially more.
- Automatic machinery requires little room to function. Aisles may be made smaller and racks can be raised using an ASRS. Increasing warehouse floor area in this way.
- ASRS systems reduce the need for manual handling of heavy or dangerous items, improving safety for warehouse workers.
- The installation and use of ASRS systems are very expensive. Installation needs considerable infrastructure upgrades and a substantial initial financial commitment.
- ASRS systems may be intricate, and careful planning and connection with other warehouse software and systems are often necessary.
- Everything, from the racks to the cranes, needs to be installed precisely for an ASRS to function properly. As a result, there is a significant labor cost associated with ASRS installation and maintenance.
- Certain product kinds are the focus of the design of ASRS systems. It could not be adaptable enough to handle adjustments in product mix or storage needs.
- ASRS systems may need repairs as well as routine maintenance. As a result of their reliance on technology, they may suffer if the system malfunctions or fails.
Evaluating your present inventory storage and retrieval procedures carefully is necessary to determine when your warehouse needs an ASRS.
A large infrastructure and technology investment is needed for an ASRS system. The benefits are huge if it is implemented.
A lightweight, adjustable shelf system is the boltless racking system. These include adjustable metal shelves that may be used for domestic, commercial, and industrial storage solutions.
Boltless racking, also known as rivet shelving or boltless shelving. It does not require nuts, bolts, or screws for assembly. Instead, it relies on a unique interlocking design that allows the components to snap together for easy assembly.
Vertical uprights, horizontal beams, and decking or shelves make up boltless racking. Typically, heavy-duty steel is used for the uprights and beams. To produce the correct shelf spacing, the beams are made to fit into slots on the uprights at different heights.
Boltless shelving comes in a variety of forms. While auto shops frequently use heavy-duty rivet shelving to hold large things. It is also often used in residential garages for general storage needs.
Many products of various sizes are stored using boltless racking methods. This ranges from small parts and boxes to large, heavy items like machinery or equipment. It is mainly utilized in manufacturing and warehouses.
Boltless racking is completely adaptable. There are configurations available that match the precise design of your facility. Its ease of assembly, adjustability, and durability make it a popular choice for many different types of applications.
Here are some other uses of the boltless racking method:
- Boltless racking can be used to display merchandise, including clothing, electronics, and other items.
- Boltless racking is ideal for storing tools, equipment, and other items in a garage or workshop setting. Its sturdy construction and weight capacity make it suitable for heavy-duty use.
The benefits and drawbacks of using the boltless rack method are as follows:
- The boltless rack is easy to assemble. They can be assembled without the use of nuts, bolts, or screws. It is not necessary to cross brace. Instead, anchors, floor bolts, or optional center supports can be used to support conventional units.
- Heavy-duty boltless racking with a long spread that can accommodate large and bulky goods. These units have strong steel posts, thick decking, and components and angle posts of industrial quality.
- Boltless shelving also has the benefit of being very flexible and adaptable. There are several variations. They include light-duty and medium-duty shelving units, as well as small shelving units and storage racks with particleboard shelves.
- The high-quality steel used in several boltless rack systems gives them great endurance.
- Boltless racking is frequently less expensive than other kinds of racking systems, making it an economical storage option.
- It lacks visual appeal, especially when compared to certain rack construction techniques.
- Boltless racking offers a large capacity, however, compared to conventional racking systems, it could have a lesser load capacity.
- Due to its reliance on an interlocking design rather than bolts or screws, boltless racking may not be as secure.
- Boltless racking may have a shorter lifespan than other types of racking systems. This is especially if it is misused or overused often.
- Comparatively speaking to other kinds of racking systems, boltless racking could provide fewer design alternatives. This can make it less suitable for various storage requirements.
The Mold Storage Rack is ideal for holding bulky items including tools, dyes, motors, and molds. They include sheet base panels and one-way removable shelves to make storing considerably easier.
A basic mold rack is made up of many shelves that may hold large objects. Often composed of steel, the shelves are held up by vertical columns.
Different mold sizes may be accommodated by varying the distance between the shelves, and the shelves themselves can be expanded to make loading and unloading simpler.
Mold racks may be made to order and tailored to accommodate a variety of storage requirements. To carry the molds or tools from the rack to the manufacturing area, they are frequently utilized in combination with cranes or other lifting tools.
- Mold racks are made to take use of vertical space. This helps maximize floor space for other purposes.
- Mold racks are made to properly and securely store bulky tools and molds, lowering the possibility of damage or harm.
- They may be made to fit a range of mold shapes and sizes. They are thus a highly adaptable storage option.
- Mold racks can assist a manufacturing facility or machine shop become more organized. makes tools and molds easier to discover and access.
- Mold racks may be pricey to buy and install. This is particularly for bigger facilities or racks that are professionally made.
- Once installed, mold racks are typically stationary and cannot be easily moved or reconfigured.
- Additional lifting gear can be needed to move the molds in and out of the mold rack. This is depending on their size and weight.
- Compared to other kinds of storage systems, mold racks could have a smaller storage capacity.
The best storage technique to choose will depend on several things. Choosing the right storage method is correlated to the success of your business. You will increase profits, efficiency and time, and most importantly space by choosing the right storage method.
The most common factors to consider are as follows:
Cost is an important factor to consider when choosing the right storage method. Different storage options come with different costs.
Certain storage facilities will have minimum storage requirements, which will have an impact on price. Moreover, month-to-month storage choices may be less expensive.
If you need to transfer your belongings, there are moving expenses. Using a moving company or renting a vehicle could incur additional expenditures. Some storage facilities may levy late fees if you don’t pay your rent on time; these penalties can build up over time.
When deciding on the best storage solution, storage capacity is a crucial component. The size and number of the objects you wish to keep will determine how much storage space you require.
Think about the number of objects you wish to store as well as their sizes. Another crucial factor is the storage facility’s location. Choose a storage option that is close to where you are.
If you think you might need extra room in the future, think about whether there are expansion opportunities. Think about how often you need to access the stuff you have stored. Choose a storage solution that makes it simple and handy to reach your stuff.
Choose a storage solution that provides enough room for your goods to fit snugly. Certain storage conditions are required for various goods or things. It’s crucial to pick a storage strategy that works for the specific objects you have.
You will need a storage strategy for substances like chemicals, flammable goods, or explosives that complies with safety and legal regulations. Keep these things in a facility that is specifically intended to contain leaks and fires.
To store valuable items such as jewelry, antiques, or artwork, you will need a storage method that offers high-security features. The same goes for documents such as legal files, medical records, or financial records.
You’ll need a climate-controlled storage option if you want to keep electronic things like laptops, cameras, or audio gear. This will guard against damage from variations in temperature or humidity.
Handling equipment refers to the tools, equipment, and machinery used to move, transport, and store items within a storage facility.
Choose a storage method that offers handling equipment that is suitable for your items. Different storage methods may require different types of handling equipment.
A self-storage unit, for instance, might not need any particular handling tools. Forklifts, pallet jacks, or conveyor belts could be needed in a warehouse. You need a storage solution that includes high-duty handling equipment if you want to keep large gear or equipment.
To be sure that your things are transported and kept safely, use a storage solution that includes well-maintained handling equipment. If any equipment needs repair or maintenance, a storage facility with on-site repair services may also be helpful.
Access requirements refer to how often and in what manner you need to access your stored items. You need to consider the frequency of access. Think about how easily you can access the storage facility. Choose a storage solution that is situated in a handy area.
It is possible to guarantee that you have quick and simple access to your stored goods when you need them. This is done by choosing the proper storage solution depending on your access requirements. Also, it offers your possessions the required security and protection.
Some practices in warehouse storage methods will help you to manage your inventory efficiently. Let’s discuss some best practices that can dramatically increase the efficiency of warehouse storage:
Prober labeling helps to easily recognize the location of the product. For instance, if it is a pallet racking system, then a product can be labeled with aisle number, rack number, and level.
For instance, 3-19-5 will mean that the goods are located on number 3 aisle, 19 no. rack and no.5 level. To learn more you can read about the warehouse racking numbering system.
For larger warehouses, using a barcode is a very effective idea to label the products.
Inventory management is also an important part of warehouse management. Workers of warehouses should know the location of each product. When a product is no longer needed, unloading the product is necessary to keep the warehouse space free.
Regular maintenance and inspections of warehouse storage methods are necessary. Especially, if you have installed pallet racks, maintenance and inspection of those racks are a must.
Regular inspection and maintenance help warehouse storage methods prevent any accidents. Regular maintenance also ensures that the warehouse storage methods’ longevity increases.
It is very important to properly train the employees. For instance, if the mezzanine floor is used as a warehouse storage method, they should be taught the proper way of loading and unloading the products.
Properly training the employee also helps to save a lot of time for warehouse management.
Having safety precautions in place ensures the safety of the goods and workers of the warehouse. For a small mistake, many valuable goods in the warehouse can be destroyed. That’s why it is very important to know and implement safety measures properly.
Each warehouse storage method has its uniqueness. The owner of the warehouse will decide the best warehouse storage methods according to his needs. For instance,
If warehouse management needs a cheaper warehouse storage method, pallet racking is a great option.
If warehouse management needs aesthetically beautiful and multi-use warehouse storage methods, a mezzanine floor is the best option.
If warehouse management wants to reduce its labor cost and wants faster loading and unloading of products, the ASRS system is a great choice.
In a nutshell, based on the specific needs and demands of a warehouse, the warehouse management should decide on the type of warehouse storage method it wants.
Warehouse management should find out factors like cost, type of products, storage space, handling equipment, access requirements, etc. For instance, the budget is very important to choose the right warehouse storage methods.
If warehouse management has a higher budget, they can choose systems like the ASRS system, mezzanine floor, or cantilever racking. If warehouse management has a lower budget, they should choose cheaper warehouse storage methods such as pallet racking.
Similarly, if a warehouse has very little space, it is not suitable to build a mezzanine storage system. Then they should choose pallet racking or boltless racking as warehouse storage methods.
However, if a warehouse has a larger space, then it can go for warehouse storage methods such as the ASRS system or mezzanine floor.
So, warehouse management should consider cost, storage space, type of products, etc. to find out the perfect warehouse storage methods for its warehouse.
Practices like labeling, training the employee, and regular maintenance help to increase the longevity of warehouse storage methods. Also, these practices in warehouse storage methods ensure the safety of the goods and the workers of the warehouse.
By utilizing proper warehouse storage methods, businesses can reduce the amount of time spent on product selection and retrieval. It also minimizes the amount of space needed to store their products.
The idea that warehouses are used only as places to keep goods is becoming less and less prevalent. It also gives expanding firms stability and assistance which is advantageous. By using the right warehouse storage methods you can save space and also grow your business.
Mracking is a famous warehouse rack manufacturer known for its quality and service. We have a dedicated blog on our website on different topics of warehouse-related items such as pallet racks, mezzanine floors, etc.
Don’t forget to check out our blog to know more about warehousing-related things! Feel free to contact us about any of your queries related to the warehouse.